Tiger Moth (PH-TYG)
Click the image for more
On October 26th 1931 the maiden flight of this type of airplane took place. It was an ideal training aircraft for novice pilots, and when, at some later time, they talked about it there was always a touch of tenderness to be noticed in their comments. During the Second World War, all RAF pilots learned to fly on the “Tiger Moth”. Also HRH Prince Bernhard received his training on this biplane, making his first solo flight in 1941.
Thanks to the “Target One” agreement, the LSK acquired 56 ex-RAF “Tiger Moth” trainers shortly after the Second World War. These aircraft were used in the Elementary Flying Training (EVO) at Woensdrecht Air Base. The LSK used these pilot training aircraft up to the early fifties. Until 1961 they were in KLu service as tow-planes for towing up gliders. The aircraft registered A-49 was the very last “Tiger Moth” to roll off the assembly line.In all, 8811 were built.
The SKHV “Tiger Moth” was built by the de Havilland Aircraft Co.Ltd. at Hatfield, Herts. in 1939. Initially she had an English registration, because registration in the Dutch aviation register would have necessitated fixing the disfiguring (so-called bed-board) anti-spin board next to the tail fin. Later, when this modification was no longer required, she was as yet entered in the Dutch aviation register.